Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Where in the world is Amy now?

Jennifer has reminded me (ever so sweetly) that I have not written on the blog in a long time. And that is very true so here is a post on what is going on in the vanderkooi neck of the woods ...

Jason has finally finished his 8 months of training for his new job. And with the end of that came the placement for the new job. As expected it is not in Midland - but unexpectedly it is not in Houston either. I had come to terms with the fact that I was going to Houston and was in fact getting ready to make the most of it. Then, while at Jennifer's house to celebrate Jackson's birthday and Christmas, Jason got THE call. And we found out the new job is in Oklahoma City ... a mere 2 hours and a bit from Jennifer. This could not have been better news for all of us and I was so very happy that we were at Jennifer's house when we got this news. Because they are as excited as we are about OKC!!! This means more time spent with our family of 8 ... more scrappy time together, birthdays together ... no more need for the video cam to do these things!!

And so we are getting ready to move to Oklahoma ... these three Canadians will now be Okies. I have made some good friends here in Midland, but I have to say I will not miss seeing that burnt orange colour everywhere I go!! Our house is officially on the market - essentially meaning it looks like nobody lives here. But Rachel and I are in fact living here and cleaning up more often that we are used to. There have been lots of showings but no offers so far. The weekends are nice because Jason comes home - and I get to listen to those wrestling giggles that are always present when those two are playing.

Jason has been getting the lay of the land in Edmond - where we will live once we sell this house and get a new one there. There are lots of choices in there and I am confident that we will find what we are looking for. It is nice to have more time to check out the city and the schools before actually buying - I have been looking at real estate listings and sending Jason out on scouting missions to check out the ones I like.

As for crafting - I have returned to the land of scrapbooking and I can honestly say that it was the Two Chicks Designs kits that did it for me! I started getting them in October and I have been creating with them and getting back into it. So much so that when the design team contest was posted I threw my scrappy hat in the ring. As Jennifer said - I was one of the successful designers and I am SO excited to be working with the great stuff that Christie (the chief Chick) has to offer!! If you head over there now you will find some awesome grab bags that are for sale - and when I say sale I mean BIG savings!

Well now you know where I am and be sure to check back with us as we have vowed to keep this blog up to date. For now I leave you with a few things I created for the Two Chicks design team contest.

First we had to create a 2 page layout of who we are ... I chose to do a a layout about what the different important people in my life call me ...

Next we were asked to create 6 cards ... since it was getting close to February - I chose to make some Valentines - here are 3 of the 6 I made ... and yes I actually remembered to use them!!

We were asked to make an altered project ... this is what I came up with. I used green embroidery floss to make my flower stems and used my punches, some buttons and cute patterned paper to make the flowers. The blessings chipboard word is from Maya Road and the birdies are from Jenni Bowlin (I think). This is hanging in Rachel's room and she loves it!

Our final project was to create a mini book that explained why we wanted to be a designer - and we had to use at least 25 different types of embellishments. It took me a bit to decide what I would do - but once that was done I had fun making this book which I titled "WHY I create" I had the many reasons I scrapbook.

That's all from me for now!
xo Amy

1 comment:

Cheryl Arkison said...

I'd love to see that book Amy, I've been tackling that question myself lately.